Silene Quilt - Made Just Sew Patterns

Silene Quilt

Made Just Sew Patterns



The photo above was taken at Beckenham Place Park.

Introducing the new Silene Quilt by Made Just Sew Patterns. I was so lucky to be chosen as a tester for this quilt! I couldn't believe it.  I had only ever made one actual quilt in my life before I was chosen to test this pattern.  Thank you so much Claire for choosing me! I have been introduced to an amazingly talented group of quilters who were kind and supportive and also so amazingly inspiring!  I felt so lucky to be a part of that wonderful group and I really learned so much from them. It was so much fun to see everyone post their fabric choices, and quilts in the process of being made on the way!

 The Silene quilt is such a stunning design, it can be made in two colour ways. One that uses five colours and one that uses two colours.  I have obviously chosen the two colour way pattern.  I will be honest here, for my second ever quilt this was very ambitious of me but I am so pleased I went for it.  I have learned so much and now I feel I can take on the world of quilting (at an intermediate level for now at least)!  Also this proves that reading the instructions over and over (and over) again, being determined not to be defeated, many cups of tea and quite a few biscuits does pay off.

This quilt did take time to make.  There was a lot of preparation and work that went into this quilt and it was a lengthy project, but so worth it when it all starts to come together.  I would recommend this pattern to people who want to spend a longer time on a project. 

Me at home with the quilt hanging on the wall behind me

I learned two new quilting techniques when I was making the Silene Quilt.  The first new technique was the assembly HST (half square triangle) this was similar to quilting techniques I was already familiar with, basically it is a technique used to make squares that have a diagonal line down the middle and two different colours on each side.

The second new technique I learned was the assembly of the HRT (half rectangle triangles) which is a rectangle with a diagonal line down the middle and two different colours on each side.  The assembly for these was similar to the HST then they needed to be trimmed down which was totally new to me and taught me a lot! Let's just say there were a few HRT's that didn't make the final quilt (and a few that did but they probably shouldn't have), I am confident that if I have to make and trim an other HRT it will be much improved from some of the ones on this quilt.


Fabric details: The binding fabric is a liberty floral cotton from The Fabric Quarter in Lincoln along with the bamboo inner batting. I love the Fabric Quarter.  They are so friendly and helpful always and have such a lovely shop too.  I wished I lived closer to it.  The fabric for the top were both Kona Solids in Shell and Creamsickle and I bought that at the Wool Warehouse.  The Backing fabric was Dashwood Studios Twist in Mint from Love Crafts Shop. 

     
  
              
Details of hand stitching the binding together and of course Patsy helped me every step of the way.

In the beginning I was not too sure of the choice of colours of this quilt.  But as time has gone on and I have taken it many places with me (even to the Royal Albert Hall and on dog walks) I really love this little creation I have made. I wanted a spring, upbeat vibe from this quilt and I feel that is what I have achieved. As I have made two quilts that are bright now, my next quilt will not be so bright.  Yes I am already planning my next quilt.  I will see how that goes and then see what I prefer.

Also see below for my interpretations of #quiltsinthewild 


At the Royal Albert Hall: Outside and Inside - This was a brilliant idea, then I did feel a bit silly explaining to security that I had a quilt in my bag.  The security person just looked at it patted it (I am assuming for sharp objects) then let me in! I love how the Royal Albert Hall colour scheme matches the quilt so nicely too. I have to say thank you to my partner for these photos.  In a lot of ways I am sure it is easier to be the person hiding behind the quilt rather than the person taking the photo who is in full view of passers by... I am very lucky to have someone who is so willing to help me out.


Mayow Park on a fallen tree branch - 

 

Finally the other photo at Beckenham Place Park -


Patsy keeping a look out while I show my lovely new quilt at Beckenham Place Park.






Comments